MS Mayflower :: Shared Projects Forum :: Ship Modeling Forum
The Ship Modeling Forum @ shipmodeling.net - A web site forum devoted to the handcrafting of model ships and boats. 10th Anniversary 2004/2014

Forums | Portals | Articles | Photos | Downloads | Links | Glossary | Stats | FAQ | Stores | Scuttlebutt | Nav

The Ship Modeling Forums' 2013 - 2014 Model Competition - Winning Models and Final Vote Counts

Go Back   Return to the Forums' Main Page > General Discussion Forums: > Shared Projects Forum
Username Password
Problems Logging In - Click Here
Register Users' Guide Projects List Calendar Current Posts Site Map
Registered members can hide these banner ads after logging in

Donate and help support the Forum

Old 02-27-2012, 07:48 PM
Current Project: HMS Winchelsea 32 gun frigate (3/16)
Project Status: Keel / Bulkhead / Framing
Default Re: MS Mayflower

You could do both but I only tapered one side. You are tapering so little that it wont matter. It saves a lot of time if you only do one side. It seemed to work for me quite well. Its much less extreme than your image shows and will be very gradual.

A sharp blade is the key...and watch those fingers!!!

Chuck

View this Members' Photo Gallery View this Members' Articles / Shop Notes View this Members' Links  
  Searching for something? Search with a Google Search Forms, Search Tips, Main Search Page, Amazon Quick Search
Do a "Quickie" - Google that is!  Or would you rather - "Amazon"
Old 02-28-2012, 06:57 AM
Click here to see this member's profile
Click here to view this Members' Photo Gallery
Don's latest photo
Current Project: MS Mayflower
Project Status: Hull Planking

Thanks Chuck. The photo is greatly exaggerated. I am only removing about .02 on one side.

------------Members' Signature------------
Projects in waiting
- MS Katy of Norfolk
www.howefamily.com 

View this Members' Photo Gallery View this Members' Articles / Shop Notes View this Members' Links View this Members' Glossary Terms  
  Searching for something? Search with a Google Search Forms, Search Tips, Main Search Page, Amazon Quick Search
Old 03-16-2012, 08:25 PM
Don's latest photo

I'm making steady progress on the planking. I have noticed that the planks supplied my ME are not very "square" but more slanted like parallelograms. I have also been experimenting with steaming the planks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC04203_sm.jpg (99.9 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg DSC04213_sm.jpg (94.0 KB, 16 views)

Projects in waiting
- MS Katy of Norfolk
www.howefamily.com 

View this Members' Photo Gallery View this Members' Articles / Shop Notes View this Members' Links View this Members' Glossary Terms  
Old 03-18-2012, 01:04 PM
Don's latest photo

A question for Chuck, if you are listening. The instructional guide calls for a 3/16 wide garboard plank. The kit didn't come with anything that wide, there is nothing listed on the parts list. All I have are some 1/4 strips that I think will work just as well. Also, what is the length of taper? Is it the same 3 inches used on all the other planks?

Projects in waiting
- MS Katy of Norfolk
www.howefamily.com 

Old 04-02-2012, 06:32 AM
Don's latest photo

I continue to add planks. I also have been reading through the ME "Planking the Built Up Ship Model" and MSW "Simple Hull Planking Techniques for Beginners" found in their shipwrights database. Both are good resources and have fine illustrations. I think I will be adding the second layer of planking when I am done but haven't committed to that idea yet.

(open in a blank tab)

Projects in waiting
- MS Katy of Norfolk
www.howefamily.com 

Old 04-14-2012, 12:27 PM
Don's latest photo

I finished up the first layer of planking. It looks pretty good but I must have got off track somewhere because I ended up having to splice in a piece on both sides. There is a dip in the bow, looks like I pressed my thumb in to much. Some wood filler and light sanding should straighten everything out. I plan on doing the second layer; apart from the larger piece of planking, it's been a good learning experience.

(open in a blank tab)

(open in a blank tab)

Projects in waiting
- MS Katy of Norfolk
www.howefamily.com 

Old 04-23-2012, 06:41 AM
Don's latest photo

Ok, a question regarding the second layer of planking. Should you off-set the planks over the first layer? That is stagger them so that you start over a seem of the first layer?

Projects in waiting
- MS Katy of Norfolk
www.howefamily.com 

Old 04-23-2012, 07:22 AM
Current Project: HMS Winchelsea 32 gun frigate (3/16)
Project Status: Keel / Bulkhead / Framing

It doesnt matter....you should concentrate on getting the planks lined up properly. For Mayflower, this is crucuial because you have so many molding strips which should follow the run of the planking,. Start with the wales. This will ensure that the run of the planks is correct. Work your way up from there.

Chuck

View this Members' Photo Gallery View this Members' Articles / Shop Notes View this Members' Links  
Old 04-23-2012, 06:08 PM
Don's latest photo

Thanks Chuck. Now an unsual question but related. Did you by chance happen to take photo of your Mayflower from directly in front of the bow? I am curious to see how the planks look as they round the bow. If not no big deal. I have been reading ME's "Planking the Built-Up Ship Model" and was curious how the planks look on a bluff bow.

Projects in waiting
- MS Katy of Norfolk
www.howefamily.com 

Autolink code by The Geek